Some people have very difficult days this time of year. Some of them miss loved ones; others have family issues… Let me give you some very simple Optimism Coaching tips to try to face the season with a little bit more hope and optimism in your heart:
- One step at a time: take each moment at a time. Don’t try to see the whole day or the whole season in your mind’s eye. Just think about the moment right in front of you and focus on that one moment. Feel it, live it, enjoy it. Then, once that moment goes, focus on the next one.
- Stop guessing: you usually look at your day ahead and try to foresee what’s going to happen and who’s going to do or say what. Planning and worrying never really fixed a situation, so don’t waste your energy. Just focus on this moment that you’re living and give worrying up.
- You’re the boss: stop giving others the power to control you. It’s your life. They’re your feelings. They’re your moments. Choose to enjoy your moments. Choose to feel happy. Choose to feel good inside. If others are upset, it’s their choice. If others are not enjoying their moments, it’s their choice.
- Give: give others something good. Give them a smile. Give them a hug. Give them love. Give them gifts. Give them support. Give them a little part of your own happiness. Giving just for the sake of giving yields warm feelings.
- Find something good to focus on: every moment you can, try to find something good in or around you. It can be anything: some beautiful lights, the warmth of a fire, a smile… and focus on that.
- Say thanks: you can also focus on things you’re grateful for. Let gratitude engulf you.
- Love the departed: offer those who’re not here your happy thoughts and your feelings of love instead of your sad ones for a change. Yes, you’d like them to be here. But would they like to see you all sad and upset or would they rather have you happy and letting their love cheer you up? Dedicate your happiness to them. Rejoice in having had them to teach you what love means. Remember the good moments with them and use them to make you smile and feel the warmth in your heart again. Use the happy memories to let you love them just once more in this very special season.
- Sing and dance: yes, cheerful music does the trick, too. Play happy music and, if possible, sing, sing, sing and dance, dance, dance! Your mood will lift, even if you don’t want it to.
Life is a collection of moments. How you live them will turn them into what they become. Choose to collect happy moments before they flee. This time of the year is the perfect moment to expand your collection. What will you see when you look back? Treasure happy moments. Nobody can take those from you.
Enjoy life… ALL of it,
Jessica J. Lockhart – humanology – www.jessicajlockhart.com
Jessica J. Lockhart is a humanologist, bestselling author and renowned international speaker. Follow her here: